Rum Runner Days: getting around the Pass 0
With the annual Rum Runner Days underway this week, there are a few things motorists need to know before setting out to take in the festivities.
In an effort to reduce congestion in Blairmore on Saturday, July 21, the municipality sent out parking passes for each household with the last utility bill.
These passes are for Saturday events only. Thursday, Friday and Sunday will not have any restrictions.
Residents who do not receive a utility bill may pick up their passes at the municipal office in Coleman.
If anyone wants more passes for friends or family, they can pick them up at the municipal office.
Several designated parking areas have been set up for Saturday events to help reduce Blairmore traffic issues and to ease traffic problems exiting onto Highway 3.
Parking areas will be supervised and expanded as required.
Shuttle buses are available at Crowsnest Consolidated High School in the west and the old Frank Shell gas station in the east.
The cost for parking and shuttle ride is $5 per vehicle.
As in past years, there will be road closures to allow for events such as the Sole Survivor race, the parade and the car show.
Road closures are as follows:
For Sole Survivor:
* On Friday, July 20 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., 127th Street from 17 to 19 Ave.
* On Friday, July 20 from 7:15 p.m. to 8:15 p.m., 19th Ave. from 119 to 129 Street.
For the parade:
* On Saturday, July 21 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., 21st Ave westbound traffic only.
* On Saturday, July 20 from 9 a.m. to noon, west Blairmore access closed after Macs Store entrance.
* On Saturday, July 21 from 10 a.m. to after parade, 20th Ave from 107th to 133rd Street.
For the Show & Shine:
* On Saturday, July 21 after the parade from noon to 5 p.m., 20th Ave. closed to traffic eastbound from centre access.
On Saturday, July 21 after 5 p.m., traffic must use the east and west access. Centre access southbound lane will be closed to all vehicles.
When leaving Blairmore on Saturday afternoon and evening, traffic can only make right-hand turns.
All westbound traffic will be directed out of Blairmore by way of the west access. If you are parked on the north side of the Highway, traffic will be directed west.
Eastbound traffic will be directed out of east centre access.
Canadian Pacific Railways remind people that trains will be running on a regular schedule throughout the weekend and to use caution when crossing the railway tracks. Pedestrians are advised to only cross at public grade railway crossings and to stay from the right-of-ways.